10.04.2008

and they said he'd never have another good season...




not to say that #6 Penn State is a powerhouse now that they're up in the rankings, but as an '04 PSU grad myself, i think i have room to speak. graduating from penn state in 2004 gave me a few more rough football years than good ones. i faltered through the 5-7 2000 season. i was at the game in 2001 when PSU upset Ohio State and gave JoePa his 324th win, making him the winningest NCAA Division I coach. it wasn't the greatest of seasons...we were 5-6 overall, but at least Joe passed Bobby and the world was at peace. then my junior year, we were 9-3 and went to the Capital One Bowl...it was such a big deal for me since my 1st two years were so tough. and then...2003...we ended the season 3-9...and i was a senior and our nittany lions looked like nittany kittens that year. after that, everyone started to say JoePa needed to retire and his time in the limelight was over...he needed to finish while he was ahead...blah, blah, blah...



well, i always stood by Joe Paterno. Joe lived on McKee down the street from me my junior year when i lived on north allen street...right next to Sunset Park.

i used to pass him a lot up on Park Avenue...and during the 2002 season, i left him PSU cookies on his Brady Bunch style 70s home doorstep. i donno if Joe ever ate those cookies, but i still feel a special connection to him.

i've just always supported joe. when my Pitt alumni father dogged on him and the rough seasons, when fellow Penn Staters said, "Maybe he should retire," when the media said he was going to die on the football field...i supported him.

and now, it's 2008, and the Nittany Lions are 6-0. joepa may have coached from the press box yesterday afternoon, but his Lions are strong this year.

it may be just another year of college football...it may be that our almost-82-year-old Joe has had many years of success...but it doesn't mean that he's at the end of his journey.

Joe Paterno is my man...I just wish he was running for President. i'd vote JoePa!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was sweet of you to make Joepa cookies. It reminds me of Pedro making the cake for the girl in Napoleon Dynamite, leaving it at her door, and then running away. LOL.

Do these latest victories really count for Joepa? He sits up top in the box. He can't manage the team from there. I'm not a hater, I swear. WE ARE...