3.03.2009

The Jungle

The Jungle (Signet Classics) The Jungle by Upton Sinclair


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I have wanted to read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair for a LONG time. I remember back in the 90s when my older sister read it in high school and she talked about how gross it was.



Anyway, when my book club decided that everyone was to pick an American classic to read for the month of January, I knew I would finally have the chance.



This book isn't really about the disgusting meat-packing industry's unbelievable conditions. It's more about the life of a man, Jurgis Rudkus, who is a Lithuanian immigrant to Chicago, or Packingtown, as he calls it.



The story is more about the Rudkus family's struggle to survive in a capitalist society that was ruled by just a few on top.



If you've never read this book, it's definitely a book worth reading. You'll become attached to Jurgis' attempts to make it when everything is against him.


View all my reviews.

No comments: