12.09.2008

the Christmas Decoration Saga...Rules #3, 4, 5, 6, & 7

as i continue through the Christmas Decoration Saga, you'll get to enjoy some of the most important features of a properly decorated Christmas. in this post, i'd like to share:

Rule #3: Ornaments Mustn't Rest on the Branch Below

Rule #4: Rough Ones in the Back

Rule #5: Tinsel No-No's

Rule #6: Properly "Lit" Ornaments

Rule #7: Stars are for the End

To be able to properly finish your Christmas decorating, make sure to follow along.

  • Rule #3: Ornaments Mustn't Rest on the Branch Below
    I think it's very important to place ornaments on the tree and make sure each individual ornament has a happy home. Ornaments should not be placed so that they rest on branches below. If the ornament hangs really far down when you hang it, so much so that it rests on the branch below, then you need to find a stronger branch above to hold that heavy ornament.

  • Rule #4: Rough Ones in the Back
    If you owe it to certain ornaments to make it on the tree, even if they aren't in the best condition or aren't the most beautiful, the back of the tree is the perfect place. Now, all trees have a side to them that's near a wall, unless of course, your tree is in the center of the room, and the wall side of the tree still needs ornaments too. Rough ones can easily be hung in the back of the tree with no questions asked.

  • Rule #5: Tinsel No-Nos
    Sorry to those of you who use tinsel on the tree, but according to my decoration saga, this substance should absolutely NOT be used on a Christmas tree. It's just a no-no. It's unruly, clingy, messy, and annoying. It doesn't look good. It's a waste. Don't use it. Pretty simple.

  • Rule #6: Properly "Lit" Ornaments
    Ornaments with a special ambience, clear glass, and transparent ornaments should be placed so that light comes through them. This is easy to do with the help of strategically placed Christmas lights. Just make sure they are hung so that a light shines behind them. Pretty easy.

  • Rule #7: Stars are for the End
    Prior to this year, I was never taught the "put your star on the tree last rule." I don't think my mom and dad ever followed this rule, as far as I know, and they just put the tree topper on when it was convenient, be it in the beginning, middle, or end of decorating the tree. I saw the movies where the star was the crowning touch of the tree, added only at the very end when everything else was finished. I guess I just never had anyone to enforce the rule. This year, when I was about to put the star on the tree while we were decorating, Gregg stopped me and said, "No!" I wasn't sure why, I thought I had done something wrong, but it turned out that he just wanted me to wait until the end. Now that I've been introduced properly to the rule, it will become a tradition for years to come. We'll top the tree at the very end of the tree-decorating. You should too.

Now that we've covered all the ground for the Christmas Decorating Saga, go out there and make sure you do your very best decorating if you haven't already.

You'll be sure to have
a gorgeous tree.

2 comments:

Hank said...

You are such a patient decorator. I definitely agree with the "find a stronger branch" line. But, I don't always have that kind of perseverance. :o( That is why when I come home I have 1 or 2 ornaments on the floor. Ha!

But, sometimes I feel bad for the ugly ornaments, and I put them in a good spot so I won't hurt their feelings. Like this one cat ornament we have that is scary. I didn't want to put it on the tree, but then I felt bad and put it front and center....

The Running Couple said...

I agree with Sarah, sometimes the ugliest ornaments tell the best stories... or you just fear their wrath if you shun them.