11.26.2008

moloka'i

Moloka'i Moloka'i by Alan Brennert


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
when I started reading Moloka'i, I honestly wasn't that interested. I didn't catch the cover with a lot of intrigue, and unfortunately, I do judge books by their covers.



anyway, book club decided to read it, and i finally finished (late, as usual) today. i loved this book.



Moloka'i, a Hawaiian island, was home to a leper colony in the late 1800s and into the 1900s, where many people were exiled to live with "leprousy" which was actually something later to be called Hansen's Disease.



the main character, Rachel Kalama, is torn from her family and sent to live at Kalaupapa on Molokai'i.



the book is the story of her loneliness, her love, her hope, and her life. it's a great book because it shows how much a person adapts to their surroundings when they have to.






View all my reviews.

1 comment:

Hank said...

I'm so glad you liked it! :o) I thought the cover was kind of ugly, too...I wish it was a landscape of moloka'i or something ...